MOSQUITO BORN DISEASES
A disease which is transmitted to humans or other animals by an insect such as a mosquito or another arthropod is called vector borne disease.
Mosquito are carriers or vectors for some of humanity’s most deadly illnesses and they are public enemy number one in the fight against global infectious disease.
- Lymphatic Filariasis(Elephantiasis)
- Japanese Encephalitis(JE)
- West Nile Fever
- Yellow Fever
- Rift Valley Fever.
The viral diseases yellow fever, dengue fever, chikunguniya are transmitted mostly by Aedes aegypti.
Other viral diseases like filariasis, encephalitis, west Nile virus, rift valley fever are carried by several different mosquitoes.
Viruses carried by arthropods such as mosquitoes or ticks are known collectively as arboviruses. The mosquito virus of west Nile fever was accidentally introduced into the United States in 1999 by 2003.
Other species of Aedes as well as culex are also involved in the transmission of disease.
Malaria is one of the famous mosquito born tropical diseases passed on to humans by the female anopheles mosquito (malaria mosquito).
Being with a mosquito bite by the infected insect, malaria symptoms appear about 9 to 14 days after the infectious mosquito bite. Mosquito bite skin of the human.
It is a parasitic disease. It is caused by parasite which is called plasmodium. There are known four human pathogenic species of plasmodium namely Plasmodium vivax, Plasmodium falciparum, Plasmodium ovale, Plasmodium malariae.
Fever, chiils, headache, sweats, fatigue, nausea and vomiting are the symptoms of malaria disease.
Chikungunya is a rare viral fever caused by an alpha virus. It is spread by an infected mosquito bite, which is called as Aedes aegypti.
Illness is often acute and lasts for 3 to 5 days. May be up to 10 days or more. Recovery is usually prolonged and marked by weakness and pain in joints.
The clinical features of chikungunya are fever, nausea, vomiting, myalgia, rash and arthralgia.
Mosquito breeding sites can be everywhere. Mosquito don’t care about fences. So it is important to control breeding sites anywhere in the neighborhood.
- Mosquito controls vary with situation.
- Large area management,
- Limited recreational areas,
- Home mosquito control,
- Natural mosquito control, etc.
- If you have constant problem with mosquitoes and you have to deal with them on daily basis, then it’s time for you to equip yourself with powerful and handy mosquito trap.
- The trap uses CO2 to attract mosquitoes into a soda bottle where they cannot escape.
- Insecticides treated net is a preventive control measure as it involves protecting individuals with bed nets as most mosquito bites occurs at night.
- Some times mosquito spray helps to contol of mosquito.
- Any substance such as mosquito applied to skin, clothing, other surface which discourages insects from landing or climbing on that surface is called insect repellents or mosquito repellents.Mosquito repellents help prevent and control the outbreak of mosquito born diseases such as malaria.
This is the general notes on Mosquito Born Diseases and Control Of Mosquito.